08 February 2007

amazing grace

I (Becky) finally succumbed to the germs Peter has been spreading around the house for 2 weeks and got a cold. It's not serious, but I'd like to keep it that way. As a result, I left the house today only to enjoy a delicious lunch with Peter's mom and Bob at Twin Bays Cafe. I've spent the rest of the afternoon anxiously clicking around online waiting for news from Patty (director of our adoption agency) about her meeting at the passport office today. In the process, I've discovered an intriguing new movie that opens later in the month. It's the story of William Wilberforce and John Newton (writer of the song "Amazing Grace") and how they impacted the slave trade. Check out the trailer for yourself if you haven't already heard of it. It looks like a powerful film, and it is exciting to see many wonderful organizations supporting it. I find it very easy in my comfortable little world to think that slavery is an issue of the past, but the statistic I've been seeing is that 27 million people live in slavery today. I am equally intrigued by the book Not For Sale: The Return of the Global Slave Trade-- And How We Can Fight It, which reportedly offers practical suggestions for the average person who wants to make a difference. Unfortunately, with a large stack of very important books waiting to be read (in addition to the 3 I've already started!), I think it will go on my wish list for a while. If you read it, please send me a summary!

No comments: