22 April 2009

a recommendation and a report

I've thought several times recently that I should write a post and recommend an amazing Bible storybook to all the parents out there. We just finished our first read through The Jesus Storybook Bible: every story whispers his name with the kids. The subtitle says it all. Peter loves to help people see how the entire Bible is one connected story, and this book does it for kids. I seriously have gotten teary eyed numerous times reading it. It's just so beautiful. In fact, it started to happen tonight as I read the last story, the story of John's vision, when it says:

There are loud cheers and clapping, clapping and bright laughter like a thousand waterfalls and everyone bursts out singing a new song. 'This is our King! The Lamb who died so we don't have to - our Rescuer. All Honor and Glory! Forever and ever.' ... And the King says, 'Look! God and his children are together again. No more running away. Or hiding. No more crying or being lonely or afraid. No more being sick or dying. Because all those things are gone. Yes, they're gone forever. Everything sad has come untrue. And see - I have wiped away every tear from every eye!'

But then we finished the story and on the last page, they have a paraphrase of John 1:12-13.

For anyone who says yes to Jesus

For anyone who believes what Jesus said

For anyone who will just reach out to take it

Then God will give them this wonderful gift:

To be born into

A whole new Life

To be who they really are

Who God always made them to be –

Their own true selves –

God’s dear Child


And Joshua asked how we say yes to Jesus. And we talked about it. And because I don't believe in pressuring kids into things they don't understand, I told all 3 kids that if they decide they want to say yes to Jesus some day, Daddy or I would be happy to help them. Then I moved on and we prayed our regular bedtime prayers. When we were done, Joshua said he really wanted to say yes to Jesus now. Of course, the other two immediately wanted to as well. So we talked about it some more. Then we all said yes to Jesus. And after some follow up discussion, I'm pretty sure Joshua really did. The other 2 are quite questionable, but that's OK. I'm pretty sure God can handle my children's souls better than I can. But what a moment that words can't even express! After goodnights, I ran downstairs, called Peter, and told him the news through lots of tears.

2 comments:

Christy said...

Thanks for the review. I had seen that book before (I think you mentioned it before?) and it looked really good. I had just been thinking about getting it again recently so thanks for the reminder.

Peter and Becky said...

Christy, I learned about it on the AOH yahoo group, so you were probably part of that discussion.