13 November 2009

Honoring Christmas: a series

I don't want to freak anyone out, but Christmas is exactly 6 weeks away. It's hard to believe. Since our kids came home in 2007 I've given a lot of thought to Christmas. I love the hype. Buying gifts. Party hopping. Decorating. Listening to incessant Christmas music. Baking. Driving around to see Christmas lights. But an American Christmas was new to our kids, and I wanted them to understand the true focus of Christmas and not miss it in the wonderfully fun busyness. So we made a choice to become more intentional about our Christmas season. It's been good for the kids... and for us as well.

Over the next few weeks, we're going to do a series of blog posts entitled Honoring Christmas. Most of us enjoy celebrating Christmas, but honoring it requires focusing on the purpose of the celebrating. I don't know about you, but I've spent a lot more Christmas seasons celebrating that I have honoring.

Not everything our family does will work for you, but I hope something will. And I hope that as I share our family's Christmas traditions, you will leave comments and share yours.

If you want to set your heart on honoring Christmas this year, please consider giving your first gift of the season TODAY.
Water for Christmas is a campaign that started in 2008. It grew out of the heart of a mommy like me who has beautiful African children. Little did she know that her campaign would grow into a huge movement. So today Water for Christmas is kicking off the 2009 campaign by asking everyone to donate $10 as the first gift you give this Christmas season. Just $10. Some of us will spend that much to eat out today. Or to pay gas and tolls for your commute. Or to pick up an armful of necessities at the supermarket. But the $10 you donate will provide clean life-saving water to one person in Africa for 10 years. That amazes me every time I think about it. Today you can make a secure, tax deductible donation through an established and reputable organization that will save lives. I can't think of many better ways to set our hearts on honoring Christmas this year than to start the season by giving a truly significant gift. I know you're intrigued, so go read more about today's first gift campaign and consider making a donation.

Beyond believing in the power of the Water for Christmas campaign, I am personally biased toward it because the wells they're currently digging are all in Liberia. It makes me sentimental and teary eyed to think that one or more of the wells could save the life of our kids' father or sibling or aunt or uncle. That's powerful for me. It means that our $10 donation allows us to honor Christmas and our children at the same time.

In just a minute I'm going to click over to make our own donation. Then I'm going to sketch out a schedule for the rest of our Honoring Christmas series. I hope you'll check back and help me to think through ways to be more intentional about our Christmases. Let's not spend the next 6 weeks running around missing the point.

6 comments:

All 8 of Us said...

Becky,
This is great!! Thanks so much...With 6 kiddos, my hubby and I are also trying to be purposeful with Christmas...this weekend we will be filling our 6 shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child... but I love the idea of a first gift and the knowledge that a well theoretically could be dug in our own childrens Liberian villages ...powerful to ponder!! I will show your post to my hubby later today.
Thanks so much!
Blessings,
kathi

Peter and Becky said...

Kathi, we love OCC. We'll be doing our shoeboxes next week, and I'll be sharing about it here.

Christy said...

Yay! Great idea! Looking forward to future posts. Thanks!

Jamie said...

Thanks for the idea Becky! I went ahead and donated right away. You have really made me think about the season and it puts everything in perspective.

michelle said...

becky, how did you find out about water for christmas?? a friend of mine is involved in it...it's a small world! :)

Peter and Becky said...

I learned about it last November through another African adoptive mommy who learned about it somehow. The internet makes the world very small, especially the adoption world.