10 February 2010

the power of memory

This morning I've been listening to Gordon Lightfoot and Peter, Paul and Mary. If I close my eyes during certain songs, I'm suddenly 45 minutes away from Norristown watching my dad rock slowly in his chair while he reads. I'm guessing most of us have those memory triggers. Sounds, foods, activities, places. I have lots of them for my parents, grandparents, aunts, and uncles. Things that take me back to another time in my life. As I flipped pancakes and pondered the amazing way our memories work, I started wondering what those triggers will be for our kids when they grow up. What will make them think of me? Will they be happy or sad things; things I did intentionally or things I never even thought about? Although it's an impossible question to answer, it's interesting to ponder.

No comments: